Saturday, October 16, 2010

RC Workshop

Every year Guiding Eyes hosts a workshop for the region coordinators and team helpers from every region. Everyone gathers together for a few days of learning, fun, and puppy snuggles. This year's workshop was my very first one - Julia and Kim from the NYC region also came. The theme of the workshop was Puptoberfest! I'm not really sure why that theme was chosen, but it made for an excellent German-themed dance by all the region managers!


The first night was basically just an introduction to the workshop, which involved eating some German-themed food and shopping at the region tables. I really had to restrain myself from buying every item there! Lots of regions had some really creative stuff - I ended up buying a wind jacket and some dog toys (as if my dogs don't already have enough toys! haha). It was also the first time I saw all the region managers - it was nice to put faces to the names.


The second day of the workshop involved a lot of instruction on the wonderful new preplacement classes that Guiding Eyes has developed. We have tested the new classes a few times in NYC so I was already familiar with the material but it was great to hear the questions from other regions about issues that we had not come up with. There was also a surprise visit from the next puppy I will be raising (Josie!) who, along with her sister Joan, were the demo dogs.

That night we had yet another delicious meal and a short comedy sketch/speech from comedian Brian Fischler and his guide dog Nash. He was hilarious as usual. Poor Nash had spotted his puppy raiser in the audience and cried throughout Brian's sketch.


There was also an AMAZING presentation by the Heeling Autism program, which included updates on every dog that has been matched while a child. The father of one of the kids who received a Heeling Autism dog gave a speech that was incredibly touching. There was not a dry eye in the house. I really enjoyed learning more about this program.


The final day of the workshop was the day everyone had been waiting for - community run day!! From what I understand, this was the first time that Guiding Eyes brought everyone into the community runs and allowed people to request specific dogs they wanted to see. Initially I was a bit bummed because Frito had recently been spayed and was on the "do not run" list but then I learned that instead of the community run, I was allowed to spend 30 minutes alone with Frito in her kennel. It was pure heaven!


And then it was time...time to pick up my new puppy!! She was hanging out in a van with her sister Jamie, just waiting for me to take her home. (I borrowed the photo from Laura's Facebook page - Josie is on the left).


After a great workshop where I got to see Frito again, learn lots of new things, and meet many of my Facebook friends, we headed back to NYC...

No comments:

Post a Comment