Saturday, October 2, 2010

Frito Returns to GEB

The time for Frito to leave me and return to Guiding Eyes has finally arrived. When I first started raising Frito, this moment seemed so far out in the future that I never really thought about it. But as soon as I was given Frito's IFT date, all of a sudden I could not think of anything else and time flew by faster than it ever has.

While I am obviously sad to see Frito go, the initial drop-off was not a terribly sad experience. Frito had no idea what was going on so her excitement to be in a place with over 100 other dogs was catching and it was hard to be upset or sad.

Our first stop was to check in with an instructor assistant who promptly removed Frito's collar and placed a training collar on her and attached a different leash. I almost started crying right at this moment as this somehow seemed to make it official that Frito was no longer mine.


The instructor assistant then asked me a variety of questions about Frito, including what type of food Frito eats and whether she was in heat. Frito then hopped on the scale and was weighed. Another raiser asked me days later how much Frito weighed but I appear to have repressed some memories of that day as I had absolutely no idea what to answer.


Frito and I were then led into a temporary kennel space where we were left to spend some last few moments together. Again, it was hard to be sad when Frito was so interested in her surroundings and was clearly not aware of what was going on.


Frito kisses are the best!!


Julia and Frito saying goodbye...


All too soon, it was time for us to leave. Frito looked a bit confused when we exited the kennel and shut the door after us, leaving her inside. But I knew that it would not be long before she had moved in with her doggie roommates and started having a wonderful time.

Goodbye Frito and good luck! I am so proud of you and everything we have accomplished together!! I cannot wait to meet the person who will love you even more than I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment