Sunday, August 1, 2010

Doing the Tourist Thing

Our puppy classes are held at the Animal Medical Center, which is located on East 62nd Street in Manhattan. To get there via subway, I have to take the 4 or 5 train which stops at East 59th Street and Lexington Avenue. Now if I did not have a dog with me, this would be no problem. But, with a dog (i.e. Frito) who cannot ride an escalator, this subway station is a nightmare. It is very deep under ground and you can either take like five escalators to ground level or walk up just as many stairs, which are very narrow and difficult to navigate with a dog while people are trying to walk down the same stairs at the same time (I tried it once with Frito - it was NOT fun - it is impossible to take the time Frito needs to feel comfortable on those particular stairs without irritating other people).

So, when I take the subway to class, Frito and I take the R train to a station that is farther away but involves two much shorter staircases. I look at the longer walk as a nice way for Frito to burn some energy before class and for me to get some pictures of Frito around the city.

Here is Frito with one of the horses on the perimeter of Central Park:


In front of the Plaza Hotel looking for Eloise:


We made a pit stop in Duane Reade for some beverages. Frito picked out a bottle of Fanta (incidentally, her sister's name is Fanta...)


Our final stop before class was the Container Store. Frito is not much of a sniffer but she likes to stick her nose in places, like dishwashers, shelves, etc, so I thought the Container Store would be good practice for her to keep her nose to herself.


Frito did such a great job in the store that I gave her to the command to "go sniff" and she picked out some bright blue baskets. She pouted a little bit when I told her we could not get them but she'll get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment