Sunday, February 7, 2010

Early Socialization

This past weekend I had the opportunity to go to the Canine Development Center and learn what is all involved in the early socialization program of the GEB pups. Elizabeth, the volunteer regional coordinator for the NYC region, typically goes up to the CDC every Saturday and brought myself and Julia with her. The early socializers take one litter of pups at a time into a special room that is cleaned with bleach prior to the play (pups this young are susceptible to all kinds of germs) and is outfitted with all sorts of things to climb on, play with, and listen to. Once in the room with the pups, you encourage the dogs to play and explore in order to build their confidence. You wear crazy costumes, listen to random noises, and start teaching them to sit, down, and stay.

The litter we worked with was the "A" litter born on January 5, 2010 - Abbie, Ale, Abu, Alvy, Amigo, Ambi, Ariel, Arlo, Alma, Arnie, and Alise. They were adorable and I had to work hard to not steal every one of them.

The pups arrived via puppy bus:


Time to play!


Julia trying to teach the pups to sit, down, and stand. It is challenging at this age but it is quite amazing when the pups do the commands.


I know we were there to socialize the pups, but all I wanted to do was pick them up and cuddle!


The runt of the litter, Alvy, was such a sweetheart who kept getting picked on by his bigger siblings. He got some much needed special attention.


What blog post is complete without a picture of Frito. She came along for the ride and hung out in the office for the NYC Regional Manager. On the way back to the city, Frito rode in the back of the car and I do not think she was too happy about it.


Overall, it was a great experience and I hope I get the opportunity to do it again in the future!



2 comments:

  1. That's so cool that you go to do ES!! :) When I took my first GEB pup back to GEB in August I got to volunteer at the BK and I got to take the JJ09 litter into a room in the CDC to play and socialize too. It was tons of fun and I hope to do it again! :) I also want to volunteer at the Training School. :) I love the little puppies so much, but I love the big dogs too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not signed up to ES, but someone in my region who does invited me along to see what it was like. It was a lot of fun and I sure would love to do it again. I have never been around puppies that young so it is fun to see them exploring new environments and learning.

    ReplyDelete